January 27, 2007

The Tao of Design


Before I go any further, it might be best to discuss some of the influences surrounding my first book, "The Tao of Design". I was originally inspired by the works of Ray Grigg , specifically his book, "The Tao of Relationships". I found his writing to be extremely insightful. Through him I began to appreciate the wisdom surrounding the Tao and the works of Lao Tzu.  His influence brought to mind new perspectives concerning past interpretations and understandings supporting the design function. New insights concerning design and the design process were slowly revealed to me and brought to my awareness. Meaning and purpose had a new meaning and purpose, and I wanted to share these revelations with others.  

Not until I visited China in1994 did I have the opportunity to experience the region that birthed the concept of the Tao. I was fortunate to be one of the first designers invited to visit the Peoples Republic of China soon after pronouncing its "open door policy". It was an honor to be invited by the People to People Organization  to visit China as a delegate representing the USA. I was part of a delegation of design professionals, business leaders and educators that visited an array of cities, universities, international designers and manufacturers.   

"The Tao of Design" introduces the reader to the concept of design and its relationship to the importance of meaning and purpose in the design process. I strived to focus upon the dynamic relationships between what we perceive, believe, imagine and create. Trying to put into words impressions that are difficult to describe was and continues to be, challenging.  It was during these incommunicable moments that I referred to the unspoken insights expressed by the writing style of Professor Grigg. 

At times certain verses appear to be confusing and/or redundant. Not everyone will resonate with my method of presentation/expression. Each vignette attempts to describe phenomena that might be considered vague, confusing or outright unintelligible. 

Design is a very subjective language that perpetuates a mysterious discourse through the use of symbol, metaphor and analogy. Design is a language unto itself, a language that speaks from within every day and every moment. 

The Tao has inspired me to venture deep into the connection between design and consciousness. I hope you find The Tao of Design as enlightening and challenging as it has been for me to bring it to manifestation.

C.G. Garant

Edited: 11.29.2013, 04.07.2017, 02.14.2019, 11.24.2019
Find your truth. Know your mind. Follow your heart. Love eternal will not be denied. Discernment is an integral part of self-mastery. You may share this post as long as author, copyright and URL https://designconsciousness.blogspot.com/ is included as the resource and shared on a non-commercial no charge basis. Please note … posts are continually being edited over time. Copyright © 2019 C.G. Garant. All Rights Reserved. (Fair use notice) You are also invited to visit https://designmetaphysics.blogspot.com/,   and https://sagariandesignnetwork.blogspot.com.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add to Technorati Favorites